Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

I'm reading this sweet article given to me for Philosphy 300.

Suppose that you and I are acquaintances and we're in my apartment having a conversation and that at some point I want to terminate the conversation and not have you be in my apartment anymore. Very delicate social moment. Think of all the different ways I can try to handle it: "Wow, look at the time"; "Could we finish this up later?", "Could you please leave now?"; "Go"; "Get out"; "Get the 'heck' out of here"; "Didn't you say you had to be someplace?" ;"Time for you to hit the dusty trail, my friend"; "Off you go then, love"; or that sly old telephone-conversation ender: "Well, I'm going to let you go now"; etc. And then think of all the different factors and implications of each option.

- Wallace

Major like.

No comments:

Post a Comment